Committee Meetings 2019

19th November 2019

Notes of Committee Meeting held on Tue 19th November 2019 at 10am at 6 Church Hill, South Cave, HU15 2EU


 Present: David Cross (Chairman), Steve Horner, Julian Musik, Elizabeth Wilson (Musical Director), Ken Doran, Phil MacMullen, Dave Williamson, Peter Goonan, Dave Rutter, Malcolm Sparks, Terry Lynn.

Apologies for Absence: Jon Capel

Notes of Previous Meeting and Matters Arising:

The notes from the previous meeting were accepted as an accurate record.

Officer Reports:

Musical Director (MD)

Contact with Bestwood MVC has continued, and progress has been made with regard to the format and programme for the joint concert with them in June, 2020.

The Repertoire for next year has been considered in some detail. Some new items have been added and others dropped as we continue with our “rolling” repertoire. It was agreed by all that the choir has continued to have a varied programme of songs to suit all tastes, certainly when compared to other male voice choirs.


The current bank balance is £6,923.51 as of 22/10/19.

A review of Choir finances has been conducted since the last Committee meeting. However, a continual effort must be maintained to elicit more sponsorship of the Choir and exercise financial prudence.

A more detailed investigation will be carried out by the Treasurer and Secretary to see whether it would be financially beneficial for the Choir to apply for Registered Charity status. A review of possible grant applications will be conducted by the  Treasurer, with a view to boosting Choir finances.

The Treasurer asked to be kept up to date with the addition of new members to the Choir, and the Secretary agreed to do this.

Mr Tom Danter, a current member of the Choir, is to become the new Independent Auditor of Accounts for the Choir upon the retirement of Mr Barry Cave from this position. This needs to be ratified at the next AGM.

It was reported that the issue of “performing rights”, involving Toll Gavel Church is still unresolved. This will continue to be followed up. 

The Chairman noted that although the current bottom line looks comfortable, it becomes less so when problems regarding possible replacement uniforms are taken into account.  The background:

It became necessary three years ago to replace our uniforms with one featuring a different coloured (burgundy) blazer, blazers in the old cherry-red colour no longer being available.

Orders were placed through Slaters of Hull for the blazers, produced by Brook Taverner, on the (verbal) understanding that burgundy, being the most popular colour, was very unlikely to be discontinued at any time in the near future.

Brook Taverners have now announced that they will no longer be producing this colour and we might soon have difficulties finding blazers for new members.

Terry Lynn will approach Slaters with a letter expressing our disappointment that we have been placed in this position and suggesting that Slaters should be prevailed upon, as a goodwill gesture, to donate to the choir the very few burgundy blazers they have in stock, which will not be much use to them anyway, and which might help us out on a short-term basis.

Meanwhile, the Chairman will investigate other sources of blazers.  Other options were discussed but it was agreed that we should do all we can to avoid having to change uniforms again.  Even if this can be achieved, the Chairman felt that it is time to start building a healthier reserve against the possibility of future events or surprises.

Public Relations Officer/Patrons Coordinator

Advertising for the Choir’s “Prelude to Christmas” concert on 15th December is on track.

Because he does not live in Beverley and is relatively new to the post, the PRO/Patrons Coordinator is grateful for the support of Committee members an other Members of the Choir with the above and matters pertaining to our Patrons.

Recruitment Officer 

The view was expressed that the attraction of new recruits to the Choir was largely by “word of mouth”. However, it was agreed to continue the periodic presence of Choir members at the entrance to Toll Gavel Church on Saturday mornings to add to recruitment efforts. The suggestion of an additional venue for the latter was outside the cinema in Flemingate. This will be further investigated.


The investigation into potential Charitable Status for the Choir will be taken forward by the Treasurer and Secretary outside of the Committee setting and will report back to the Committee at the next scheduled meeting.

The Secretary will keep the Treasurer informed of new Members joining the Choir. This will take the form of e- mailing an updated Members’ Directory whenever it is amended with new details.

An update was given about the joint concert with Hull and Driffield MVCs (13th June, 2020). Driffield MVC have since withdrawn from taking part in the above mentioned. The concert is, however, going ahead. The venue is booked (St. Mary’s Church, Beverley), and devising the programme is now required. To this end, our Chairman and MD are taking this forward with regard to the choirs. The Secretary is to speak to the East Riding Schools Music Service about young musicians in our area to fill a “guest spot”. The Secretary of Hull MVC is to do the same with the Hull Schools Music Service.

It was agreed that no further e-mails need to be forwarded by the Secretary to the MD and Chairman with regard to Choir Festival invitations from outside the UK.

The Secretary of Kidderminster Valentines Ladies Choir has made contact to invite the Choir to be guests at their concert on 4th April, 2020. Unfortunately, our accompanist, Amy Butler, is unavailable on that date, so the Choir will have to decline. However, another mutually agreed date will be sought. BMVC will be delighted to make the return visit, having hosted the Valentines earlier this year.

Concert venue bookings have been confirmed with Toll Gavel Church up to the date of our joint concert with Hadley MVC (5th September, 2020).


Thanks were expressed to Peter Goonan and Terry Lynn (both former Chairmen) for their help and support.

Two new sponsors were approached during recent months, Williamsons Solicitors, who kindly donated £350 to Choir funds and Philip Robinson, photographer, who agreed to act as our official photographer in lieu of a cash donation, taking fresh photographs as required and requested.

Concert CDs, pens, and keyrings are selling well.

Beverley Lions will kindly donate the collection from the carol singing in Tesco Supermarket, Beverley to the Choir.

The “contact cascade” on the Choir website has been updated and Members are asked to check that their details are correct.

Further to his concerns regarding Choir finance noted above, the Chairman noted that the Choir’s financial balance seemed to be falling year on year over the past three years or so and he was keen to address ways of reversing this trend.  One matter discussed was our present practice of giving a Charity concert each year, the result of which has been to take funds away from the Choir’s  reserves.  The background:

The practice of giving a Charity concert each year, usually when we have a home joint concert, and with all programme and ticket sales moneys going direct to the charity, was introduced six years ago when the Choir had a very healthy bank balance, ie, before the need to purchase new uniforms. 

Now that this is no longer the case, the Chairman suggested that, although we wish to remain a charitable Choir, we should make certain adjustments to the practice.  Three options were suggested by various committee members:

    1. To discontinue the Charity concerts for the time being until such time as we can get our finances on a healthier footing.
    2. To reduce the Charity concerts to once every two years.
    3. To donate only 50% of net takings, after outgoings, to our chosen Charity.

The Chairman announced his intention to consider these options and revert to the committee in the very near future.

Section Representatives

 1st Tenors: Nothing to report

2nd Tenors: A Section lunch event was held for the first time, and was enjoyed by all.

Baritones: Discontent was reported by one or two (anonymous)  members of the section about some of the numbers in the repertoire being too long, complicated, and in a foreign language. This has been noted.

Basses: Nothing to report.

Resignations/New Members

Andy Noon has resigned from the Choir. There are 5 new members since the last Committee meeting, namely John Toes (First Tenor), Dom Minnitti (bass), John Clarke (bass), Andrew Smith, (bass), and Luke Goulder (Baritone).                                                        

Any Other Business

The MD (who is also the MD of “Positive Note” Choir, a choir of recovering cancer patients at Castle Hill Hospital, Cottingham) suggested that the Choir sing with them, at a date and venue to be decided,   to raise funds for that wing of the hospital. This request to be looked into at a later date .

Summary of Actions

The MD is to finalise the concert repertoire for 2020;

The Treasurer is to investigate further avenues for grant applications;

The Treasurer and Secretary are to further investigate the process of the Choir becoming a  Registered Charity, and whether there are sufficient benefits, financial or otherwise, for the Choir;

The Secretary will keep the Treasurer informed of new Members of the Choir;

Terry Lynn will approach Slaters of Hull concerning the blazers fiasco.

The Chairman will investigate other possible providers of blazers.

The Chairman will revert to the Committee on the matter of arrangements for future Charity Concerts;

 The Treasurer will continue to seek a resolution to the “performing rights” issue that  has occurred;

The Recruitment Officer will investigate the possibility of an additional site to utilise for the Choir’s recruitment drive;

The Secretary will liaise with the East Riding Schools’ Music Service about young musicians fulfilling guest “spots” in future concerts;

The MD and Chairman will finalise the programme for the Choir’s joint concert with Hull MVC on 13th June, 2020;

The Secretary will contact Kidderminster Valentines Ladies’ Choir with a view to agreeing a date in the future on which the Choirs are able to perform together in a joint concert (in Kidderminster), fulfilling the invitation by them. BMVC hosted the Valentines in Toll Gavel this year and would be delighted to make the return visit;

Date and Time of Next Meeting

To be at 10.00am on Tuesday 3rd March 2020 at 28 St Catherine’s Drive, Leconfield, HU17 7NU

The meeting closed at 12.25pm.

13th August 2019

Notes of Committee Meeting held

on 13th August 2019 at 10.00am

at 28 St Catherine’s Drive, Leconfield, HU17 7NU


Present: David Cross (Chairman), Steve Horner, Julian Musik, Andy Noon, Ken Doran, Phil MacMullen, Dave Williamson, Peter Goonan, Dave Rutter.

Apologies for Absence: Terry Lynn, Jon Capel

  • Welcome to new Committee Members: The Chairman welcomed those new to the Committee.
  • Notes of Previous Meeting and Matters Arising: One error was raised, Dave Williamson agreed to become Recruitment Officer, not Andy Noon. Apart from the above, the notes from the previous meeting were accepted as an accurate record.
  • Officer Reports:



  1. The Choir has, up to press, a busy diary for the rest of 2019 and in to 2020 (11 concerts/singing appearances – 4 of which are with other choirs, and 2 weddings).
  2. Peter Goonan, the Choir’s Website Administrator, will continue in the role (unanimously agreed), in spite of having to give up singing with the Choir for health reasons.

Hon. Treasurer

The rent for the continued use of Toll Gavel Church for rehearsals has been paid for the year. Nearly all Choir Member annual subscription fees have been collected. The current bank balance is £8,463.

Public Relations Officer/Patrons Coordinator

Nothing to report as new to post.

Hon. Secretary

Nothing to report as new to post.

  • Section Representative Reports:


Nothing to report.

  • Finances


  1. Concern was expressed that the Choir had made a loss of approximately £1,000 per year over the last 3 years, and the Committee entered a discussion as to how this might be addressed.
  2. .It was reported that the Ladies Circle had “made”/contributed approximately £800 to Choir funds.
  3. Enquiries had been made to several possible/prospective sponsors, and these were ongoing.
  4. Continued efforts were to be made regarding attracting new Choir members and Patrons. A rise to £20 per person per year for Patrons was discussed. Production of a bi-annual newsletter for Patrons was suggested (to be followed up by PRO/Patrons Coordinator and Hon. Secretary).
  5. More concentrated efforts were to be made to sell greater numbers of tickets for Choir concerts (to involve all Choir members).
  6. The Chairman agreed to inform the Choir of the present situation and to canvass them for ideas/solutions.
  7. The Hon. Treasurer is to go over the Choir finances in more detail with his predecessor to see where costs may be further minimised.


  • Annual Choir dinner/Section lunches


  1. The Chairman agreed to contact all Choir members to ask whether an annual dinner was to be arranged, or a Choir lunch instead, or neither.
  2. Section Representatives are to consult with their sections as to whether Section lunches should be arranged. The Bass Section have been having lunches together on a regular basis for a while.
  • Gifts for visiting choirs


This is to be modified, after discussion, to the purchase of pens as gifts for individual visiting choir members. The pens to say “Beverley Male Voice Choir”.

  • Resignations/New Members


Martin Mellodew has resigned from the Choir. There have been no new members since the last Committee meeting.

  • Any Other Business


  1. The City of Hull Band have invited the Choir to repeat the recent joint concert with them. The hospitality shown the Choir at the recent concert was a disappointment, but it was agreed to accept the invitation (date not yet fixed), with a request to amend timings for joint rehearsal and provide interval refreshments for the Choir.
  2. Saturday morning recruitment drives are to be continued. The Recruitment Officer is to consider other possibilities.
  3. The Hon. Secretary is to investigate whether it would beneficial for the Choir to become a Registered Charity.
  • Date and Time of Next Meeting


To be at 10.00am on Tuesday 19th November 2019 at 6 Church Hill, South Cave, HU15 2EU.

The meeting closed at 12.02pm.

25th June 2019

Notes of Committee Meeting held at 10.00 am at 28 Northfield Close, South Cave, HU15 2EW, 25th June 2019


Terry Lynn (Chairman), Peter Goonan, Tom Danter, Dave Cross, Steve Horner, Ken Doran, Andy Noon, Jon Capel, Dave Rutter.


Apologies for Absence

Apologies received from Malcolm Matthias and Phil MacMullen

  1. Notes of Previous Meeting and Matters Arising

Notes of previous meeting were accepted as a true record and there were no matters arising.


2. Officers Reports



  • Thanks to the committee and all those who have assisted with the concerts we have had in the last three months, including the weekend Hartlepool/Whitby trip (a big thank you to Dave Cross), and our annual Social Event (again, a big thank you to Chris Szafran). All of them were notable successes and enjoyed by everyone.
  • Both Malcolm Matthias and Tom Danter are stepping down from their positions on the Committee, Secretary and Treasurer respectively. Both were thanked by everyone for their service on the Choir’s behalf. Phil MacMullen has agreed to take over as Treasurer, and Steve Horner similarly with the Secretary position. Both appointments will be subject to ratification at the AGM on 29th July
  • Because of the above changes, it was important to fill the vacant positions of Public Relations Officer (PRO), Patrons Coordinator, and Assistant Secretary as soon as possible. Members of the Choir will be canvassed about the posts. The re-establishment of Choir Welfare Officer was also felt to be a need, possibly as an additional duty of the Section Representatives. Summing up on the subject by the Chairman (after this years’ AGM): new Chairman, David Cross; new Vice Chairman, Andy Noon; new Treasurer, Phil MacMullen; new Secretary, Steve Horner; Choir Librarian, Richard Sholtysek;Website Administrator, Peter Goonan; Welfare Officer, Terry Lynn; vacancies to be filled as mentioned above.
  • We need to keep up the recruitment drive and concert promotion by all members as well as attendance at the Toll Gavel Gates on Saturdays, but we need more members taking part. Flyers have been printed and dates agreed for events on 6th,13th, and 20thJuly (2019). Dave Williamson has agreed to take on the role of coordinating on recruitment.
  • Amendments to the Constitution. It was felt there was a need to pay attention to a few aspects of the aforementioned. The Chairman deferred to Peter Goonan to outline these matters:
  • i) Para 2a iii – Members Directory now on the Choir website (minus addresses – a list of which to be kept up to date by the Secretary);
  • ii) Para 2b – The “8 rehearsal rule” before new members are issued with a Choir uniform to be at the discretion of the Committee;
  • iii) Para 5a – The post of Welfare Officer to be re-introduced and duties outlined;
  • iv) Para 7 -The Choir’s President and VP and their partners should not be required to pay for entry at concerts.
  • v) Para 8 –  New sub-para f – Accommodation costs for the MD and MA (to include their respective partners) to be met by the Choir on “away trips”; MD and MA fees to be met by the Choir (excluding funerals for Choir members); and
  • vi) Certain aspects of the “Dress and Etiquette” page have been amended.

Honorary Treasurer

  • Financial situation – The Honorary Treasurer advised that the Choir’s bank balance stood at approximately £2,700, bearing in mind that some expenses  would be coming out of funds shortly, and that two “away trips” had come in this financial year (to be kept to once per year if possible).
  • As he was stepping down from the role to make way for Phil MacMullen at the imminent AGM, Tom Danter’s report was brief.


Public Relations Officer/Assistant Hon Secretary


  • All Patrons have been reminded of our upcoming President’s Charity concert on 26th This included all who were not on e-mail, which incurred extra costs for postage.
  • Posters advertising the event have been distributed to many businesses and other prominent sites throughout Beverley and environs. This will continue in the run-up to the concert. Many media outlets and publications have also been contacted with a view to advertising the concert. Terry Lynn will contact local radio nearer to the event.
  • The posts of PRO and Patrons Coordinator become vacant at the imminent AGM (as discussed above).


Honorary Secretary

  • Due to his absence there was no report.  

Section Reps


  • First Tenors – an enquiry has been made about the possibility of engaging a school choir for this years’ Prelude to Christmas concert.
  • Second Tenors – Recent members are “bedding in” well; is a new CD recording being considered? ; baritones are “drowning out” Second Tenors.
  • Baritones – request for a particular musical item, but advised to put in the request again at the November Committee meeting when next year’s repertoire are discussed.
  • Basses – reported that they had been out to lunch as a group several times and that this had further strengthened their relationships. Again it was suggested that the other groups consider doing something similar. Again a musical item request was made (to be considered as per baritones).
  • .
  • Review of Membership subscriptions and MD/MA fees


  • It was agreed by the Committee to increase the annual subscriptions to £100.


  • MD, MA and Assistant MD to remain at the current level.


  1. Resignations/ New Members
  • Peter Chew has resigned from the Choir
  • There were no new members

5. Any Other Business


  • An initial meeting was held between appropriate members of BMVC, Driffield MVC and Hull MVC, with regard to a joint concert involving all three choirs for next year (2020). The Committee will be kept informed of progress in terms of date, venue, etc. Another such meeting is not scheduled until September (2019) when logistical decisions are likely to be made.
  • Jon Capel informed the meeting that the sum of £1030 had been collected at the funeral of Jan Capel (his late wife, of course). It was to be donated to The British Heart Foundation.
  1. Date and time of next Committee Meeting


13th August 2019 – 10.00 am at 28 St Catherine’s Drive, Leconfield, HU17 7NU.

The Meeting closed at 11.40 am


5th March 2019

Notes of Committee Meeting held at 10.00 am on 5 March 2019 at 28 Northfield Close, South Cave, HU15 2 EW


Terry Lynn (Chairman), Peter Goonan, Tom Danter, Dave Cross, Steve Horner, Ken Doran, Tom Danter, Malcolm Mathias.

Apologies for Absence

Apologies received from Dave Rutter, Mark Williams, Jon Capel

  1. Notes of Previous Meeting and Matters Arising

Notes of previous meeting were accepted as a true record and there were no matters arising.



2. Officers Reports



  • Thanks to the committee and all those who have assisted Prelude to Christmas concert which was a great success.
  • Since our last meeting we have been very fortunate in having a number of new members. Thanks to all members who have brought them to join us
  • Sadly Derek Robinson and Peter Newall, both long standing members of the Choir, have passed away since we last met and we have recently heard of the tragic death of Jan Capel, Jon’s wife, who was a great supporter. They will be sadly missed by us all.
  • We need to keep up the recruitment drive and concert promotion by all members as well as attendance at the Toll Gavel Gates on Saturdays, but we need more members taking part.
  • Discussion regarding future concerts – Chairman to contact Beverley Lions

Honorary Treasurer

  • The Hon Treasurer advised the Committee that he was resigning from the position in June 2019 and that Phil Mc Mullen was prepared to take on the post from 1stJuly 2019 following a period of familiarisation with the role which Tom will provide to ensure a seamless transition of duties from Tom to Phil. The Honorary Secretary asked what background/experience Phil had in similar roles and The Honorary Treasurer agreed to speak with Phil and advise all Committee members. Tom agreed to continue to act as MC and Choir Master for the time being

The Committee thanked Tom for his hard work over the last few years and agreed to the appointment of Phil McMullen to the post of Honorary Treasurer with effect from the 1st July 2019 subject to confirmation as to Phil having appropriate background/experience.

  • Financial situation – The Honorary Treasurer advised that the financial situation was healthy and that an Arts Grant in the sum of £350.00 had been awarded to the Choir by the East Riding of Yorkshire Council and that this had been received. He also advised that an application for funding from Beverley Town Council had been refused as we had received funds from them for the last 3 years.
  • There was discussion regarding whether the Choir should contribute to expenses incurred by the MD and Piano Accompanist (including their partners) when they accompany the Choir on trips within the UK. It was agreed that Bed and Breakfast and Coach travel costs should be paid and this would amount to approximately £400.00 in total


Public Relations Officer/Assistant Hon Secretary


  • Patrons subscriptions were being paid. It was agreed that we should write to all those patrons who were not on email to remind them that subscriptions are due


Honorary Secretary

  • Advised that he would be resigning from his post at the AGM (29thJuly 2019) – Discussion followed on the best way to fill the position.  

Section Leaders

First Tenors – It was pleasing to note that Mark Williams was recovering well from his illness and hoped to return to the Choir shortly

Second Tenors – Nothing to report

Baritones – Nothing to report

Basses – reported that they had been out to lunch as a group and that this had been very successful in cementing their relationships. It was suggested that the other groups consider doing something similar. Other Section Leaders to consider in their respective groups

  1. Concert Programme 2019

The Concert Programme was now published on the website and regularly updated.

  1. Resignations/ New Members
  • Harry Kershaw has resigned from the Choir
  • Malcolm Sparks, Mark Nicholson and Paul Sears were welcomed as new members

5.  Any Other Business


  • Member Subscriptions – It was proposed that member subscriptions should reflect each member’s attendance at Concerts. This would result in those who attend all concerts paying less annual subscription than those who attend few concerts. The aim of the proposal was to encourage more members to attend concerts. Following discussion, the proposal was not approved.
  • Welfare Officer – It was agreed that the Choir should have a Welfare Officer. Terry Lynn agreed to take on the role at the end of his Chairmanship at the next AGM.
  • Recruitment Officer – It was agreed that it would be beneficial to have a recruitment officer to try and increase Choir membership. The Vice Chairman advised that Dave Williamson had shown an interest and it was agreed that the Vice Chairman have further discussions with him.
  • Charitable status for the Choir – The Vice Chairman suggested this was a good idea. It was noted that we had looked at this some years ago and decided it was a great deal of effort for little reward. It was felt that it should be considered again and the Honorary Secretary agreed to look at the criteria for Charitable status administrative process involved.
  • Concert/Events Officer – Discussion regarding the need to create this role, following which it was decided that it should be left with the Chairmanand Vice Chairman
  1. Dates and times of Forthcoming Meetings


Committee – Tuesday 25 June 2019 – 10.00 at 28 Northfield Close, South Cave

AGM – Monday 29 July 2019

The Meeting closed at 12.50 pm